Games & Giggles Galore: Let the Games Begin!
Guess who is the mastermind? Get on target with games in archery, seek and find the wonders of Nature, cooperate like a barrel of monkeys to conquer the chutes and ladders of our challenge course. Strategize and escape to a land of sweets for hand-cranked frozen treats, or share the rhythm of singing & action games. Build empires and towers, but don’t be sorry and topple them! Test your memory and mine your skills to perfection when favorite games emerge from boards and video screens as life-sized fun. Get our clue? Make sure to connect for Ashgrove Adventure’s Games & Giggles Galore for the time of your life.
The Adult volunteer application deadline is February 16th, 2021 and we will also be accepting late applications.
Remember there are now 3 Steps to the Ashgrove Adult volunteer application:
- Register as a Girl Scout (if not registered already
- Apply to volunteer (2/14 deadline)
- Signup (on the GSCNC website) for Ashgrove
As we all know, things are uncertain and changing daily, however we are moving forward with planning for Giggles and Games Galore! We hope it will happen, but we are Girl Scouts and need to remember our #1 rule- it has to be safe. All fees paid will be refunded if we must cancel camp due to Covid-19.
There are many things that will be different if we do get to have camp this coming summer and what we are currently planning for can change any time between now and camp. We’re looking at ways to adjust our camp gatherings to enable the maximum social distancing and limit our contacts while we’re at camp.
1) Our capacity will be reduced.
We are currently looking at units sized at 10-15 campers to enable proper social distancing with nearly as much staff to help facilitate proper safety protocols.
2) We have decided that bus transportation this year, given the requirements to socially distance, is not financially feasible. Therefore, we have reduced the registration fee by $25.
3) We will not have our traditional overnight. Socially distancing if we have bad weather is nearly impossible. We are exploring alternatives for the activities that normally occur on the overnight.
Ashgrove Adventure, a two-week, fun-filled, Girl Scout Summer Day Camp takes place at Camp Crowell; a beautifully wooded 57-acre Girl Scout camp located near Oakton, VA. Ashgrove has served an average of 350 girls, mostly from Northern Virginia, for over 40 years with a different exciting theme every year. Campers range in age from pre-school through eighth grade. To facilitate this fun, 150 dedicated adult and teenage volunteers dress in fun costumes with brightly colored knee socks and help campers experience: archery, outdoor cooking, camp skills, team building, arts & crafts, nature, culture, science, music, and ice-cream making! Campers third grade and older have the opportunity to experience a one-night sleepover, complete with a campfire, skits, and s’mores. Ashgrove Adventure is a magical place where girls (and the sons of staff members) can “make new friends, but keep the old”. Come join the fun!
Our Why Volunteeer? video from 2015 is available on YouTube. The theme changes every year, but the fun is always the same!
All camp meetings sessions will be held at Camp Crowell in nearby Oakton. Our meetings are designed to
- Familiarize you with the way our camp operates
- Provide you with the information about the theme that you can use in planning your part of the program
- Introduce you to skills you can use to make your unit or center a success for you and the campers
This year’s meeting date/time/location information can be found on our For Staff page.
Required meetings are as follows:
All New Staff:
- New Staff Orientation
- GS #101 – sign up for any GSCNC session if you haven’t taken it already
- Center Kick-Off Meeting
- Additional individual Center meetings
- Unit Kick-Off Meeting
- Additional individual Unit meetings
- Ashgrove Cook Out Training (if not already qualified)
- Ashgrove Blitz (formerly BYOBB and Enrichment Roundup)
Unit and Center Staff:
- All Camp Kick-Off